I’m a Disney lover and am always happy to find so many Disney lovers all over the world! I used to keep my “Disney talk” to my family only, but I have realized how many families love Disney as much or more than we do! Now, we have Disney parents who compare Disney plans & past experiences. I love that!! It’s the best way to learn.
When starting the planning process, the question is: Disneyland or Walt Disney World??
First, it depends on where you live and your budget. The closer option is easier on the family travel exhaustion and family budget. If you live on the East Coast or West Coast, your option is clear. If you have a choice, here are some things to think about:
- Disneyland is typically cheaper and easier to see in a shorter amount of time
- Disneyland is 300 acres while Disney World is 30,000 acres! (47 square miles!)
- Disney World is good “All-inclusive” where Disneyland is not
- Disneyland is boxed in, so some outside hotels are closer to the entrance than Disney World hotels
Pros for Walt Disney World:
- It’s huge…also a con
- all inclusive: if you don’t want to leave “campus” you don’t need to. Everything you need is right there. This also saves on a rental car. This also makes it easier to focus on Disney instead of other options
- More to see: Disney World is much bigger than Disneyland and you could take days to enjoy all it has to offer
- Many options to stay: the “on property” hotels & places to stay in Disney World make much more sense than the “off-property” hotels, unlike Disneyland, where the hotels by the main-gate are closer than The Disneyland Hotel to the Main Gate. Fort Wilderness Cabins, for example, in Walt Disney World give a great “suite” type cabin with a full kitchen and 2 sleeping areas while being very close to Magic Kingdom. (our favorite!) see Tips to Planning a Trip to Walt DisneyWorld
- There are more specials for Disney World for longer stays, but Disneyland is catching up
Pros for Disneyland:
- It’s small…also a con
- You can get the entire 2 parks covered in 2-4 days
- They offer a VIP tour that really rocks 714-300-7710 (Disney World is too big for this same tour)
- There are many hotels RIGHT there….our favorite is Park Vue Inn which is closer to the main gate than the Disneyland Hotel (btw)
- You are not too far from the beach…we always include a few beach days during our stay
- It’s the original and there are some historic coolness you can find
We tend to choose Disneyland over Walt Disney World because of how close it is to us and our familiarity with Disneyland and the area around it. We know exactly where to go…
Which would you choose?